Posted by Maria Marcantonio on November 16, 2021
What you need to smoke a bong
1. Preparing the Bong
Fill the bong with water
You were first preparing the bong by filling tap or bottled water. The amount of water you will pour depends on the bong size. Fill the bong in such a way that water comes no more than 1 inch above the downstem tip (the long tube of glass that sticks into the bong).
More water can be added during smoking, and you could get splashed. After filling the water in the bong, pour it directly into the mouthpiece (the open part at the top of the bong).
Grind up your cannabis
Now grind the cannabis strain by using a grinder, scissors, or fingers. Ground the cannabis in fine powder. Break some cannabis in large pieces about 0.5cm long and wide to cover the bottom of the bong bowl. If you are using the grinder for cutting strain, take the lid off and place 2 to 3 buds of cannabis between the grinder’s teeth. Now close the lid and twist it back and forth to grind the cannabis.
Pack the cannabis in the bong bowl
The bowl is a funnel-shaped piece that adjusts in the outside portion of the downstem. Take the large piece of cannabis and pack them in the bowl, these pieces will prevent the ground cannabis from getting sucked through the bowl during smoking. Now pinch some ground cannabis between the fingers and fall into the bowl. Never pack the cannabis too tightly as air would not pass through it. If you are using smoking alone, fill the bowl only half. However, if you are smoking with friends, pack the cannabis so that it comes up to the bowl rim. Do not pack it higher; otherwise, it could fall out during smoking.
2. LIGHTENING THE BONG
Choose a comfortable position with the bong
Take a seat near the table or stand, especially if you are new to smoking bongs. Immediately set the bong down if you start coughing. A seat near an open window is the perfect option to avoid smoke filling in the room. Ensure the area is free of any flammable objects.
Hold the bong with your non-dominant hand
Hold the bong wisely by wrapping your hand around the smoke chamber or hold it from the bong bottom. Have a good grip on the bong.
Take a few deep breath
Now breathe deeply using your diaphragm and fill your body with oxygen. It will make inhalation easy, and you would not cough as much.
Put your mouth on the mouthpiece
Now place your lips inside the mouthpiece and press the mouthpiece rim against the area around your mouth. Should not be any gap between your lips and mouthpiece.
Light the lighter with your free hand
Use your free hand to light the bong, hold the lighter vertically, and light it with your thumb.
3. Inhaling the smoke
Always inhale slowly, as smoke should not be going into your lungs at this point. Hold the flame over the bowl and inhale steadily and strongly. When the chamber is filled with smoke, put out the bowl, take your finger off the carb, and inhale the smoke, clearing the smoke into your lungs. Then exhale and repeat this step 3-5 times. Always try to keep your bong clean and change the water regularly.
How to keep the bong clean
When we smoke cannabis out of a glass water pipe called a bong, resin builds up over time. It leads to sticky residue in the glass stem and its sides. Stickiness will render the bong unusable and smelly. Besides, it also discolours the water and dilutes the cannabis taste during smoking.
Experts recommend cleaning your bong after a few days or one week of use. Replace the bong water often after every smoke session. Avoid mold; do not sit water in a water pipe.
How to clean a glass bong
- Fill the bong with salt and isopropyl alcohol and shake it well. It is a very easy and effective method to keep the bong clean. Always wear gloves to avoid any sticky residue on your fingers.
- Now remove the bowl and stem of the bong where you place the cannabis. Pop this piece out; it will make the cleansing of the bowl much easier. To pour the bong water out, you do not need to wet the bowl.
- Bong water is resinous and sticky so pour it into the trash and properly seal the trash bag. Always pour it into a sealed container to throw away.
- Place the bong in a large gallon-sized bag; it will help to keep the mess in a bag. If you do not have a zip-top bag, then place the bong over your sink. Just be careful because the resin can stick to the sides of your basin.
- Add isopropyl alcohol into the bong about 16 ounces depending on the bong size. Fill the bong about halfway.
- Now add salt to the bong for scrubbing to remove the resin. Although alcohol cleans it well, salt removes the build-up from the bong sides. Use enough amount of salt that can scrub off the resin.
- Close the bong and shake the alcohol and salt mixture. Seal the bag before shaking the mixture in the bong. Soak for 30 minutes and allow the mixture of alcohol to sit with the bong for some time. This step depends on how dirty your bong is.
- Finally, remove the bong and simply throw the bag; that’s why the bag is key to avoiding the resin mess in the sink. Rinse the bong with soap and warm water to eliminate all alcohol and salt from the bong.
- Soak the stem and bowl in the alcohol to clean them. Use a pipe cleaner to rinse out any residue in the stem. Use hot water for rinsing and let it dry completely before filling cannabis in the bong.